Thursday, March 10, 2011

Diane + Met (a repost)


(repost from previous blog)

A couple of visits to my OB after the operation, I was prescribed with Diane 35. Some use this as an oral contraceptive and some for their acne problems.

DIANE-35 ED is used for the treatment of androgen-dependent diseases in women, such as acne (where oral antibiotics or local treatment alone has not been successful), androgenic alopecia and mild forms of hirsutism. It is especially useful for pronounced forms of acne and those accompanied by seborrhea or by inflammation or formation of nodes (acne papulopustulosa, acne nodulocystica).
DIANE-35 ED is also used for oral contraception in women requiring treatment for these androgenic conditions; it is not recommended just for contraception. DIANE-35 ED is also indicated for the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome.

 (SOURCE: http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/cmi/d/diane35ed.htm)

I was given Diane primarily to prevent my menstruation. I was instructed to take 3 packs straight, no 7-day rest period. With this, we are hoping to prevent any other "growths" outside of the uterus. Each pack consists of 21 tablets and I came back to my OB before finishing my 3rd pack.

So last Saturday, July 31, we visited Dr. Sua-Lao again and she prescribed me with 2 more packs of Diane. Aside from that, she started giving me medications to focus on my PCOS. She gave me Metformin to regulate my insulin level. She said that this will also help reduce my weight. I've also read that this is also good for the skin. Metformin + Diane... hopefully, I will not only solve my PCOS but also my forever battle with acne.

Here is a very informative link regarding Metformin and its effects on PCOS. Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment